Joshua Saxton has been passionate about the healing arts since his teens. He began his journey in Massage Therapy in 1995 at the Reilly School of Massotherapy in Virginia Beach. He has a love of adventurous movement and the art of Yoga became a passion during massage school and then a gift to share in 1998. Through mindful awareness and the power of positive intention Joshua facilitated Meditation for Stress Management classes with the Fayette County Drug Court Program for a decade. He also provides services to the University of Kentucky athletics, Latitude Artist Community, Hospice, Camp Hope, the VA and more. He is passionate about assisting others in their journey to mental, physical and spiritual health.
As a graduate of Amanda McMaine’s 200 hour Yoga Teacher Training program as well as Matthew Higdon’s 200 hour Subtle Power Yoga Teacher Training program, Joshua has shared his passion for the art and science of yoga with numerous yoga studios in Lexington, KY and throughout Central Kentucky. In addition, Joshua has degrees in Environmental Science and Peace Studies and is currently working on his BA in Anthropology at the University of Kentucky. He is a father to Leaf, a traveler, photographer, partner and lover of beautiful creatures, places and spaces.
Joshua offers private, one-on-one massage therapy, yoga, breathwork / pranayama, and meditation sessions. He also teaches yoga and meditation classes at Centered in a group setting, along with occasional workshops.
Background & Experience
Joshua has been the lead instructor in classes at 2 Lexington massage therapy schools on:
- Sports Massage
- Chair Massage
- Integrative Massage Techniques
- Pathology for Massage Therapists
Massage and Bodywork Specialties
As a Licensed Massage Therapist (LMT), Joshua specializes in the following forms of massage therapy:
- Thai massage
- Deep Tissue Massage
- Sports Massage
- Soft Tissue Release
- Joint work — including origins and insertions of muscles in the joints
Yoga, Meditation and Kinesiology
Joshua is a Certified Yoga Teacher (CYT) and specializes in:
- Yoga – In addition to teaching various weekly yoga classes at Centered, Joshua enjoys sharing the gifts of yoga throughout the Central Kentucky community – including to people with special needs or disabilities. He teaches at Latitude Artist Community as well as Employment Solutions here in Lexington, Kentucky.
- Meditation for Stress Relief – Joshua has been teaching meditation since the late 1990s. He specializes in Type A personalities and anxious minds, or anyone who has difficulty slowing their thoughts and reducing stress or anxiety. and can work with beginners as well as intermediate meditators in both group classes or one-on-one private sessions. He also works with those who are recovering from addiction and worked with the Fayette County Drug Court here in Lexington for over 10 years, teaching meditation as a life skill. Joshua’s meditation classes and one-on-one sessions incorporate a variety of techniques including but not limited to Zen, sitting, standing, walking and several other meditation techniques.
- Mindfulness-Based Stress Reduction (MBSR)
- Breathwork / Pranayama
In addition to the skills and specialties listed above, Joshua has also trained in:
- Nuad Boran Classical Thai Yoga Massage
- Massage for people with special needs
- Stone Therapy
- Lymphatic Drainage
- Various Sports Massage modalities